[JDEV] Re: (No Subject)

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:20:06    Jeremie wrote:

>I don't think I can do this with majordomo... not sure.  Give me a week or
>two and I'll have the list moved to mailman, which is immensly more
>configurable :)

  Traffics never been really that bad..  I'll just use this untill jabber.org is ready..

>Ahhh... I think I understand what you're talking about now, user
>meta-data, like names, email, phone, etc...  I have a proposal out there
>at: http://jabber.org/developers/archive/9904/msg00022.html
>There have been a few minor changes and it's mostly implemented in the
>code already, it actually works VERY nicely, check it out :)

  Ehh..  KINDA what I meant..  What I mean is a way for the transport to prompt and say 'This is what I need'.  Hence, the forms interface.  Basically, what would like to see is a way for anything to 'prompt' for data, that it can then either be stored, or passed along..  This could serve 2 purposes:

1)  To prompt for data that the 'thing' (transport, client, etc..etc..) needs, Aka, IRC UserName..  AOL user name, etc..etc..

2)  To interactively be able to pass this data back and forth.  Perfect example would be to have IRC <=> Jabber bridge.  Becouse of the nature of IRC, you would have to have some way of sending 'commands' to the transport to do things like joining channels.  If we had the ability to have HTML forms, a form could be sent to the client, which could then prompt the form, to do things.  HTML forms allow different methods for sending the form.  We could use one to say 'store this data', and another to simply pass it along as a form reply.

  This applies to more then just IRC.  AOL chat channels, which I believe can be done via IM now, would be another example.

  As Jabber implies, we need a way to expand without breaking older implentations, and I'm not sure if we can add this functionality later once people have build up ways to do this differently..  This would ALSO allow for things such as 'New Accounts' that could be created on the fly by transports, etc..

  I'm definatly NOT saying that HTML forms is 100% THE way to GO, but I think we need to establish how this data should be moved around..  I personally prefer the storage of persistent data on the server, which we already have, but non persistant data will still eventually need to be passed around, aka, current IRC Mode, Current IRC Nick, Change to this IRC channel, etc..etc..  HTML forms just seems to me to be a standards based way of presenting and transmitting the request inside of our XML packets..

  Please, flame away at you leasure, people..  ;-P

---
Thomas Charron