Re: [JDEV] Transport Name resolution..

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:25:55   Jeremie wrote:

>Ahh... Well, all transports living within one etherx zone, or on the same
>server, can all speak to each other via their local name, such as "jabber"
>or "ICQ" or "IRC", etc...  So, if I have an ICQ transport installed at
>jabber.org and I'm jeremie@jabber.org, I could address the ICQ transport
>as 123456@ICQ.  Local names are resolved locally, to reach other servers
>there must be a DNS name.

  Yea, the more I thought, the more it all makes sense..  ;-P  This is also an VERY good way to deal with allowed remote usage or not..  If there is no DNS for it, no one remote can use it..

>Yup, that was my conclusion... if you want your server to be accessible on
>the net, it needs a DNS name, just like email :)

  Speaking of which, how well will etherx talk to etherx currently?  Aka, if I have etherx and jabbertransport starting on bootup (Which I do) can I start throwing stuff out to jer@jabber.org?  Haven't even tried, but the capabilities there, just wasn't sure if it was fully implemented..

---
Thomas Charron